Thursday, August 23, 2012

Shelby

On Saturday, I decided to go to the dog adoption event hosted by a local humane society. I should've known better because I ALWAYS find a dog that I would love to rescue.

Que Shelby (aka Gucci)
I brought this little love bug home with me. She's a boxer/terrier mix. I fell in love with her sweet personality and cute little face immediately. I knew she would be a perfect playmate for my Bristol.

WRONG.
Bristol was NOT happy about having a new dog in her house. She was anxious and couldn't sit down at all. While she was running around like a mad woman, Shelby was cuddling. Such a sweet girl.
Such a jealous girl.
Everything seemed like it would work itself out with time until this happened..
Shelby was extremely protective. Bristol walked over to the chair to sit with us and Shelby snapped at her, biting Bristol's lip. Unacceptable. I knew they were still getting used to each other so I kind of let it slide (after scolding Shelby). After that happened, Shelby got down on the floor and threw up a pool of blood. I freaked out and had no idea what could be wrong with her.
I called the humane society on Sunday, after no sleep at all, and said that it wasn't going to work out. I felt terrible but the snapping at Bristol more than once and the throwing up blood more than once was just too much for me to handle. She needed constant supervision and with me working 2 jobs, I just didn't have the time to properly care for her.
After work on Sunday, I drove that sweet girl back to the humane society. She wagged her tail and ran to the owner when she saw her. It really hurt my heart to give her back because she was so loving towards me but I requested that they give me updates on her :]
The owner reassured me that I did the right thing by bringing her back and that made me feel so much better.
Bristol is obviously a lot happier alone and John and I will just have to accept that. We thought we were doing a good thing by giving her a playmate but she would much rather chew on a bone alone, sleep in peace and watch The Hills with me. I love my little girl and I'm so glad we were able to rescue her :]

1 comment: